Filipino Custard Cake
Back home we call this Custard Cake Flan. It looks like a chiffon cake with sweetened milk and egg mixture on top. At first glance, this could be mistaken as a giant Leche Flan. Guess what? The topping of this cake is definitely Leche flan and the only distinction is the soft cake below. In the Philippines, this is usually available by the slice in local bakeries.
But how did it happen? First we only have Leche Flan (from leche, Spanish for milk), it’s a caramel custard, made with eggs,milk and sugar and flavored with vanilla. It originated from the regions along the border of France and Spain and was brought to the Philippines at the time of Spanish colonization. The ingredients are mixed and poured in an oval or round pan which is then placed in a larger pan of water and cooked on a stove or in an oven. The dessert, once firm, is chilled before serving. The sugar, after cooking, turns into a caramel syrup that coats the custard.
Theres no record how did it becomes a Custard Cake Flan in our place. Probably when the Americans came to our place we adapted and made a fusion between a cake and a flan because we are so in love with desserts. We are known for our sweet tooth. I thought of adding some rum next time..lol! Silly me..I love rum cake so much that I bake it anytime of the year.. yes I am talking of custard cake, sorry…me and my mind is desperate once again.
Filipino Custard Cake
- For the caramel
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- For the custard
- 8 eggs room temperature
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- For the cake
- 8 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/3 cup millk + 2 tbsp milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp orange extract
- 1/4 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 8 egg whites
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- How to make the caramel:
- Preheat oven to 350 or 180 and prepare a 9 inch square pan.
- In a sauce pan,combine sugar and water over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a boil for about 1o minutes or until thick and dark.Immediately pour into the pan.
- Set aside.
- How to make the custard:
- In a bowl, mix egg yolk and both milk.Do not beat.
- Stir to blend until well mix.
- Strain and pour carefully mixture the over the caramelized sugar in the pan.
- How to make the cake:
- Combine and sift cake flour,baking powder,baking soda and salt.Set aside.
- In a mixer bowl,put the egg yolks,sugar,butter and milk
- Beat in a high speed until fine and smooth
- Then add the flour mixture,orange extract,lemon extract,lemon zest and vanila.
- Use the paddle this time and mix in high speed until well combined.Set aside.
- This time beat egg whites and cream of tartar together in high speed.
- Once the peak starts to form,add the sugar gradually
- Beat until high and stiff.
- Combine the mixtures by adding the egg white mixture over the egg yolk flour mixture.
- Gently fold them together by using wooden spatula.
- Pour the cake mixture into the pan with caramel and custard.
- Finally bake the cake:
- Place the cake pan in a larger pan (roasting pan) half-filled with hot water.
- Bake at 350 or 180 for 1 hour.Remove from roasting pan.
- Let cool until room temperature.
- Remove cake pan from water to let cool completely.
- Run knife around the edges of pan.
- Invert onto a serving platter.
- Chill before serving.
Seriously, this is one ugly duckling…look at that, it got me so worried at first but I mustered enough courage and prayed a thousand times..no, what I mean is three times..lol!
Oh, this is it.. the ugly duckling has just come out and shall I say..she is not ugly anymore. I looked and I found her gorgeous and tempting. In my mind I thought of making a new one in a heart shape..
Truly life is not a piece of cake,then lets go to the pleasantries of life.Lets eat! This is my son’s favorite cake back home. Actually,it is one of my favorite too. I guess my son gets to like it because I always buy this cake whenever I got the chance.
Before I leave, I am thankful again my Kocina De Coffee Cake has been been featured by my two favorite places here in blog land. I started my foodie blog last Jan 2010 but it was on and off since I went back working again. But I truly miss the wonderful world of blogging so the start of Jan 2013, I came back, fully revived and determined..
Chaya from My Sweet And Savory has always been a favorite place since I started blogging. When I came back, I went to find her place and I was that happy becuse she has never forgotten me. Thank you Chaya for featuring my Kocina De Coffee Cake on My Meatless Monday. You made my week because its not a beautiful cake but it is so good.
Another place I used to visit before is the Hearth and Soul by Swathi. Its a place that once you entered..you will feel the warmth and coziness. I truly admire how she presents her food…in awesome simplicity snd I know they taste good.. I wonder how she made it to appear so easy..its a talent..its a gift. Thank you so much Swathi for featuring my Kocina De Coffee cake.
Gladly shared to: Full Plate Thursday Frugal Food Thursday Stash Link Party Fantastic Thursday Thriving On Thursday Thursday Treasures Thursday Treasures@Recipe For My Boys Thursdays Are Your Days Creative Inspiration Catch A Glimpse Thursday Blog Stalking Thursday Transformation Thursday Thursday Temptation Its A Party The Weekly Creative Thursday Sweet Haute
Foodie Friday Freedom Friday Friday Favorites Foodtastic Friday Foodie Friday@RattlebridgeFarm Weekend Wonder Friday Food Frenzy Weekend Potluck Friday Link Party Feathernest Friday Flaunt It Friday Food Trip Friday Tickled Pink Friday Frugal Friday Happy Hour Friday Simply Create Friday Show and Tell Friday Kitchen Fun The Weekend re Treat Friday Flash Blog The Weekend re Treat Thats Fresh Friday
Recipe Sharing Monday Clever Chicks Blog Hop Marvelous Monday Mix it up Monday Melt In Your Mouth Monday My Meatless Monday Monday Inspiration Monday Funday A Round Tuit Make The Scene Monday Inspire Me Monday Motivate Me Monday Made By You Monday Craft O Maniac Monday Mad in Crafts Sweet Sharing Monday Make It Pretty Monday
Totally Tasty Tuesday Slightly Indulgent Tuesday Show Me what Youve Got Tuesday Handmade Tuesday Tuesday’s Table Hearth and Soul Blog Hop Tuesday’s Trivia In and Out of The Kitchen Youre Gonna Love It Tuesday Tasty Tuesday@Anyonita Take a Look Tuesday Anti-Procrastination Tuesday Too Cute Tuesday Tasteful tuesday Time To Sparkle Tuesday Tuesday Talent Show Two Cup Tuesday
Cast Party Wednesday Wednesday Whatsits Wonderful Wednesday Wednesday Extravaganza From Dream To Reality Fluster Creative Muster Wonderful Wednesday Blog hop Creative Wednesday Weekly Wednesday Blog Hop Whimsy Wednesday Link Party Whatever Goes Wednesday Create and Share Wednesday Show Off Wednesday We Did It Wednesday What I whipped Up Wednesday Wow Me Wednesday Wow Me Wednesday@Ginger Snap RecipeRoundup Your whims Wednesday Whats Cookin Wednesday